Monday 12 March 2012

Don't You Ever...

The first album I had was 'Prince Charming' by Adam & The Ants.  Listening to this now is actually quite difficult; most of the songs on this album are, frankly, shit.  There are exceptions - 'Stand and Deliver' and the pretentious but nevertheless fun 'Picasso Visita El Planeta De Los Simios' can stand a listening, but most of it is pretty rubbish.  But that isn't really the point.

By the time I was nine, when I bought this, I was buying singles, and listening to pop radio and watching pop telly.  Videos were really happening on telly, and this lot made great videos, total theatre with amazing costumes, elaborate make-up and loads of colour and what I realised were rude(ish) ladies.  Great entertainment, and Adam Ant was a genuine pioneer in what was then a new medium - MTV launched in the same year this was released. 

My mate at school was a big music fan, and he and his older brother were busy introducing me to new sounds all the time, and we were keen Antpeople.  And a word here for my Mum, who realised that if I was buying records I wasn't buying fags and other tat, and who has a sense of great rock 'n' roll herself; she never complained about me buying records and hanging out at record shops, reasoning it could be an awful lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment